you see my Spamstats for the time i run an own server for my domain.
The input consists mainly from cord@Wunder-Nett.org that is in existence since mid-1996, and a (tuned) catch all on cord.de.
- Unreadable is the stuff encoded as russian, chinese, korean, ...
- Backscatter are Bounces due to misused Mailadresses.
- Virusspam is the stuff ClamAV catches.
- Spam is recognized by bogofilter
- Dupes were Mails with the same Message-Id in a short time period.
- Ham are those messages that survived the other filters.
In 05/2004 i had a big downtime due to broken Harddisk and/or cheap IDE-Cables (which was finally solved in 2006).
In 11/2004 i became Debian-Listmaster, and forwarded the listmaster-mails to my system.
In 08/2005 i stopped forwarding listmaster-Mail and the admin-mail from LUG-OWL and let them drop into a local Mailbox on the specific servers.
In 06/2006 The power supply of my server died, and HaJo had a fitting spare device, so i took it to the local hardware gods (C&M sorry, only Flash) and they implanted it, they also replaced all Fans (6 of which 4 were stuck) and replaced the IDE-Cables. Now i even could switch on DMA without risking a crash. (Man, 3years of crippled server). As you see, the system is now able to accept even more spam.
In 12/2006 i added greylisting on my server. My 2nd MX currently doesn't do greylisting.
Management-summary: With massive filtering i can keep mail somewhat useable for me.